|Home Blueberries About the Farm|
Inkwell Farm's name is relatively new (2007), but this property has been a home since 1743, when the Johnson family purchased over 140 acres from the Gilman family in Exeter. The existing, 4-bedroom house was most likely built in the 1790's, though part of the kitchen ell may be older than that. In the past few decades, an older carriage house has been extensively remodeled into a two-car garage with a high-ceilinged "great room" above it.
The farm has been many things over the years: a homestead for two branches of the Johnson family, a tavern (in the 1890's), a mink farm (from 1954 to 1964), and now a blueberry farm.
In the 1970's, the farm was named Dimond Hill Farm, after Dimond Hill Road, on old dirt road that runs along one edge of the property. But there's another Dimond Hill Farm near Concord that has a much older claim to the name, "Dimond Hill." We wanted to give the farm an "old-timey" name that wasn't already taken by another New Hampshire farm. When we noticed that picking lots of ripe blueberries can leave one's hands stained as though with ink, we had our new name: Inkwell Farm.
The property also features a barn that was most likely built in the 19th century. Someone used to keep horses in it. We're keeping chickens and guinea hens. We're raising the birds just for fun; we don't sell chicks or eggs.
The farm comprises 17 and a half acres now, offering a mix of woods and fields. Behind, a large tract of the original Johnson property is now in conservation (and owned by somebody else).
More photos of the farm below:
Copyright 2007-2009 Inkwell Farm. All rights reserved.